You might have been inspired by a lawyer’s role in a movie and you feel very strongly about justice, which has you thinking about a career in law. Ideally, you would have the academic grades necessary to pursue a career in law and the next stage after finishing school is to apply to a suitable university where you can sit the courses you need.
The Bachelor of Laws is a 3-year full-time course (or part time equivalent) that gives you an insight into the concepts, values and principles of law. The course deals with the role of law with respect to social, economic, environmental and political contexts, while you also learn about citizen rights within a legal framework.
Aside from the Bachelor of Laws course, you also need to complete practical work placements when you will be working under supervision, which is part of the Bachelor program. To test your legal skills, you will take part in mock trials that replicate a real law court environment, plus you are assessed by professors and you are given their feedback. Your professors are the ones who decide where you are placed for work experience and you might have several roles during the course. Click here for tips to boost a new business.
When you graduate with a BA in Law, you have a range of career possibilities;
- Public prosecutor
- Community lawyer
- Legal advisor for businesses
This course is accredited by the Legal Practitioners Admissions Board (LPAB), which means you can practice law in Australia.
Requirements When Course is Completed
In order to complete a BA in Law, you need a minimum of 72 course points. Click here for more information on legislation in Australia.
You should be able to:
- Demonstrate a good understanding of the Australian legal system.
- Demonstrate a good understanding of the broad concepts when legal issues arise.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the ethics a lawyer works to maintain.
- Apply legal reasoning and research to cases, challenging the opposition on your client’s behalf.
- Collaborate with other legal professionals.
- Fully understand a lawyer’s roles and responsibilities within the Australian justice system.
Entering into the legal profession offers a rewarding and challenging career and by enrolling at a prestigious university, you can prepare for your admission and start your career in law.