Will.I.Am is a true jack of all trades. He’s an award winning artist, DJ, entrepreneur, and philanthropist. He may be one of the most well-known and intriguing acts in hip-hop, but what do you really know about William James Adams?
1. His acting career began in a Snickers commercial.
Will.I.Am and other Black Eyed Peas members starred in Snicker’s “Instant Def” commercial series.
2. He suffers from tinnitus.
Tinnitus is a condition caused from prolonged exposure to loud sounds. A person will perceive sounds that aren’t actually there.
3. Will.I.Am was the first artist to stream a song on the surface of Mars.
His song Reach for the Stars made its premiere on the surface of Mars to celebrate the landing of NASA’s Curiosity. Incidentally, it was also the first song to ever premiere on Mars.
4. He founded his own non-profit organization.
i.am angel is dedicated to “transforming lives through education, opportunity, and inspiration.” Will.I.Am states that he doesn’t want all kids to grow up wanting to be musicians. He wants to inspire the next Bill Gates of the world as well.
5. He was the first recipient of the Best New Approaches in Daytime Entertainment Award.
This category was added to the Daytime Emmys in 2008. He won for his “Yes We Can” presidential campaign music video.
6. He and Perez Hilton have an ongoing personal feud.
It began in 2009 when Perez accused Will.I.Am’s entourage of assaulting him in Toronto in response to Perez being rude to Fergie. Will.I.Am denied these claimed it was merely a confrontation. The feud escalated when Perez used a derogatory slur for the artist, which lead to a physical fight between the blogger and Will.I.Am’s manager.
7. Before joining the Black Eyed Peas, he attended the Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising.
8. He is employed by Intel.
He was hired in 2011 to work as the director of creative innovation.
9. Continuing on his entrepreneuring track, he has also designed a camera enhancer for the iPhone.
The app, deemed i.am+, is designed to enhance the clarity and definition of iPhone photos.
10. Will.I.Am feels that the UK was the first place where he actually gained success.
Or so he stated in interviews prior to his role as a coach on The Voice UK. With 9.4 million singles sold and 34 songs in the Top 40 Charts, he has indeed been incredibly successful in the UK.