Working out. Yikes. Those two words either evoke excitement or dread. I contend that the majority feel dread. But you know what makes working out less dreadful? MUSIC! This is why you see iPods attached to the majority of ears as you enter your gym. I love seeing the heads bob to the beat. It begs the question why is music so essential to working out? I believe for one major reason: pure and utter ‘Motivation.’
Everyone works out for different reasons—high blood pressure, alleviating stress, and just plain old “trying to get fine”—but we all need the motivation to keep after it day after day. That’s why music is one of the most powerful forces on earth. Once you turn music on, it inspires and pulls things out of you that you knew were there but didn’t have the motivation to do or be.
Here is a list of the top ten Hip-Hop Workout Songs you need on your iPod today! If you are like me, you will be bobbing your head, singing with the music, and thrashing that gym like never before if you have these songs on your playlist. Or better said by Eminem in ‘Drop the World’ : “I’m a man of my word, so your fuck** heads better nod!”
1. Hypnotize by Notorious B.I.G—When this beat comes on in the club, people scream and start jamming. Why does it have to be different in the gym? This beat will come on and you will be murdering that stair stepper.
2. Boom Boom Pow by the Black-Eyed Peas—You can’t truly have an intense, all-heart workout without the Black-Eyed Peas. They are famous for their energy-infused beats and lyrics. Give your boom some pow with this song!
3. Touch the Sky by Kanye West—A lot of people, like me, work out because it does something spiritual for them and strengthens not only their body but their soul, spirit and mind. Touch the Sky will make you want to give it your all—not only in your workout but when you walk out of the gym.
4. Give Me Everything by Pitbull, featuring Ne-Yo—Pitbull is an expert at making you want to move your body and Ne-Yo’s crooning voice elevates this song to another level. The positivity of this song is contagious.
5. Drop the World by Lil Wayne and Eminem—Ok, ok, enough with the positive, Mr. Rogers, happy shit. This song makes you want to scream “F*** You!” as you are getting your aggression out at the gym (please don’t hold me responsible if you do and management promptly kicks you out).
6. No Lie by 2 Chainz by Drake—The beat just makes you want to go harder and go stronger. 2 Chainz has that gritty sound that leaves you wanting more.
7. Let the Beat Build by Lil Wayne—“And that’s how you let the beat build, biiiiiiiiiitch”. Enough said.
8. Gotta Have It by Kanye West and Jay-Z—Turn your head-phones up…louder. What ya’ need? What ya’ need? You need this song on your playlist NOW.
9. Jesus Walks Remix by Common and Kanye West—If there is anything inspirational, it is this song. With God all things are possible.
10. Abitionz Az A Rida by 2Pac—I should be banished to music hell if I didn’t include 2Pac on this list. He is so smooth, so eloquent, so damn cool. He’s a must in the gym.
Now nod your heads and start your lunges!!!