Anxiety as an emotion is not bad. Every human being experiences it at some point in their lives. But it becomes a matter of concern when a person feels disproportionate and anxious more often than what is normal. It is then seen as a medical disorder in need of treatment.
There are many things that comes along with anxiety – nervousness, apprehension, fear and worry. If you are continuously worried about things going bad, about how others with think about you, how your actions will have a negative impact on your life – and these thoughts come along too often, then you are suffering from anxiety. When a person is suffering from anxiety and stress, he is unable to process emotions rationally nor is able to behave in a desirable manner. They also come with physical symptoms. Severe anxiety can seriously affect one’s day-to-day life.
Anxiety is one of the most common mental illnesses in the world affecting millions of people. Unfortunately not many recognize anxiety to be a mental illness and very few actually seek treatment. Most live with anxiety and stress their entire lives, always being worried, always second-guessing themselves. What most do not understand is that anxiety can be treated, like any other medical condition. All that it requires is time. You need to give yourself time if you want to fight anxiety attacks. There are no short-cut solutions.
How to Fight Anxiety?
In most cases anxiety creeps in slowly without the person understanding how and when it happened. Sometimes it can be sudden – a heart-pounding fear without any reason. While it is important to understand why one gets anxiety attacks or he is always stressed, it is equally if not more important to seek treatment. But that’s the tough part. Fighting anxiety can be a long, arduous process. You will need to be patient. You will need to make radical changes in your lifestyle, you may need to undergo psychotherapy and you may also need to take medicines. However fighting this mental condition is important. Living under its radar your whole life isn’t easy or desirable. So how do you fight anxiety?
- Seek Therapy – One of the most common options of treating anxiety is therapy. Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) is most commonly used for treating anxiety. The aim of this type of therapy is to recognize the harmful thought patterns that causes anxiety attacks. By identifying the thought processes, medical practitioners can change the way a patient thinks, how he should react to objects and situations that can become probable triggers for anxiety attack. Therapy is time consuming, may be expensive. Accepting that a person needs therapy is probably the most difficult part of CBT. But if your anxiety attacks are coming frequently, you must seek counselling.
- Self-Medication – Anxiety disorders can be self-treated at home, especially if one’s condition is not severe. There are several anxiety relief remedies one can try at home.
- Managing Stress Levels –Stress is one of the main causes of anxiety attacks. If you can identify what causes you stress, you can limit triggers. Try to always be on time, always meet your deadlines, do not keep things for the last minute and do not take up more work than you can manage. Being overwhelmed with work can get stressful. Take time off from your work so that your mind can relax.
- Relax – Relaxing doesn’t mean simply sitting and doing nothing. An empty mind can cause more stress. You need to get involved in activities that soothes you. Anxiety relief meditation, yoga, deep breathing exercises and peacefully resting are all means to relax.
- Exercise –Exercising reduces stress. Walk more than a mile everyday, run till you are tired, or go to the gym everyday. The toughest part of exercising is keeping up the routine. You must do it everyday to keep a clear mind.
- Maintain a diet – Eating healthy is very important for your general good health. It is even more important for your mental wellness. Plan an anxiety relief diet that is rich in protein and vitamins. It is also important that you stop eating junk, unhealthy, oily food.
- Medications –Medication is not the only or the best solution for anxiety relief. But they help to a large extent. Mostly medication helps to calm the nerve. But if you are worried about trying Benzodiazepines or antidepressants, you could opt for anxiety relief with natural care. There are several herbal medicines that have for a very long time been used in various cultures. Naturally occurring ingredients such as GABA (Gamma-Aminobutryic Acid), Magnesium, Ashwagandha, St. John’s Wort, B-Vitamins are all used for treating anxiety and stress.
Why Take Supplements To Ease Anxiety?
It is often asked by many why you should take supplements for anxiety relief rather than antidepressants. Most of the supplements that we are talking about are made using naturally occurring ingredients. This means they have minimal side-effects and isn’t risky when taken in the right amount. Antidepressants can have alarming side-effects which can have long term effect on your body. From indigestion to headaches, nausea, sudden weight loss and loss of appetite, antidepressants can harm in many ways. On the other hand, supplements are mild. In most cases, they help to calm the nerves. They are most effective for people with mild anxiety. In severe cases, thorough mental intervention may be necessary and is generally recommended.
You should not fear anxiety. Once you start fearing yourself and your triggers, you may start withdrawing from work, from friends and from family. It never is a good symptom. If you are panicking, if you are afraid of working in a certain environment, there is nothing to be ashamed of. You should not hide your feeling from those who care for you. The faster you share your anxieties, the better treatment you will receive. Psychologists and mental health experts from across the world say that talking about anxiety and stress is very important. Do not be in denial of your problems. Talk about it. Seek medical attention. Take herbal supplements and you can let go off your anxiety, not immediately, but eventually.