One year after The Slim Shady LP, Eminem released The Marshall Mathers LP which is considered one of the greatest rap albums of all time and ranked 244 on Rolling Stones list of 500 Greatest Albums of All Time.
The game, some say, was changed forever when Eminem released singles like Stan, Never Knew, Drug Ballad, and the infamous Kim.
For an album that is thirteen years old, most of the subject material is still relevant today. Some of the topics like violence and the media are even more so today. Everyone has their favorite song from the album, mines Remember Me? Here are ten must know facts about The Marshall Mathers LP.
• There are two songs that reference Eminem killing Dr. Dre. Those songs are Criminal and The Real Slim Shady.
• The album was recorded in a two-month long, 20 hour recording sessions. Also many of the songs were written in the studio.
• When Eminem heard the instrumental of what would become Stan, he heard the sample used by producer The 45 King, which was Dido’s Thank You, and thought the lyrics described an obsessed fan.
• The record label felt as though the album was going to be the first artist to sell one million copies. This placed a great deal of anxiety on Eminem.
• When the album was turned in, the label didn’t feel as though the album had a lead single.
• When her heard that there wasn’t a lead single, Eminem was inspired to write The Way I Am as a way of saying that he can’t top My Name Is. However, he wasn’t finished. He then wrote a hook and asked Dr. Dre to whip up a beat. That song would eventually become The Real Slim Shady.
• Even though you may have bought the explicit version some of the lyrics were censored. The reason was due to The Columbine Massacre. Most notably are the lyrics in I’m Back. I take seven [kids] from [Columbine], stand ’em all in line/ Add an AK-47, a revolver, a nine/ A MAC-11 and it oughta solve the problem of mine/ And that’s a whole school of bullies shot up all at one time.
• Even though you bought the clean version, some profanities are still left in untouched. However, drug and gun references were omitted.
• Became the fastest selling rap album of all time, selling 1.76 million copies in it’s first week.
• The Way I Am is very unique in its own right. It was the first song Eminem produced and was considered to be one of the greatest songs of the decade by Complex.