Her song on the radio, Royals, is heating up the charts making it onto the Billboard hot 100 and reaching number one. She isn’t Miley Cyrus nor is she Katy Perry, she’s the opposite of those two. Her name is Lorde and she’s a sixteen year-old musical prodigy with a clean image and a hit album. She hails from New Zealand and not much is known about the phenom but here are 10 facts that you must know about Lorde.
• Lorde was born Ella Yellich-O’Connor in New Zealand back in 1996.
• Said that Royals came about when she was listening to a lot of A$AP Rocky
• Was signed to Universal Records at the age of twelve after footage of her singing at a talent show was uploaded to the internet
• Her father is a civil engineer and her mother is a poet
• Became the first female in 17 years to land the number one spot on the Billboard Alternative Chart
• Also became the youngest artist to land the number one spot on the Billboard hot 100 in 26 years with Royals. The first artist to do so was Tiffany with I Think We’re Alone Now
• Turned down the offer to be the supporting act for Katy Perry’s world tour
• Cites Kanye West as an influence as well as Bon Iver, Nicki Minaj, Etta James, and The Weeknd.
• Considers herself to be anti-glamour. She has referred to herself as “Super messy”
• Is one of three brothers and sisters