In today’s hip-hop world, the female MC is an endangered species. Nicki Minaj is standing alone as the only inspiring female MC that anyone has to look up to. Even then, Nicki has been taking criticism for going all the way pop and leaving her hip-hop fans behind.
The next young lady to take a shot at the crown is Iggy Azalea. The T.I. protégée has been blowing up the radio charts with her singles “Werk” and “Change Your Life”. I’ve been following her for a while and I think it’s her year to make noise. Will she catch Nicki you may ask? My answer is no, she won’t even come close. She will however be a name that you will hear a lot of in 2014.
Here are ten facts about Iggy Azalea that make her stand out in timeline fashion.
10. Iggy Azalea was born in Mullumbimby, New South Wales (Australia) in 1990. She grew up admiring hip-hop on the Internet, which inspired her dreams of becoming a rapper.
9. Left home at the age of 16 and moved to Miami, Florida. She was suppose to be going on a vacation with a friend but told her parents she wasn’t coming home. She lived with a friend for 6 months, before moving in with a boyfriend. She had a plans to go to college, but between life expenses and the price of college Iggy found out that chasing the American dream was not at easy as just getting to America.
8. Iggy Azalea is her stage name, but her birth name is Amethyst Amelia Kelly but her name didn’t rhyme with anything. Her grandfather told her that the perfect stage name had to have the perfect amount of syllables so she chose her family’s pet dogs name.
7. Iggy moved to Atlanta where she spent time working with former Dungeon Family member Backbone. She would later move to L.A. after gaining the attention of a manager working for Interscope Records.
6. Iggy first received her mass exposure from her music video “Pussy”. The song caused controversy and went viral on YouTube. It was featured on her first complete project, a mixtape entitled Ignorant Art.
5. Iggy Azalea was signed to T.I.’s Grand Hustle Records in 2012 and her career began on the fast track for success.
4. In 2012, she was in a relationship with rapper Asap Rocky. At one time she had the words Live, Love Asap tatted on her arm. Since they have split she has covered the Asap portion of the tattoo.
3. Standing at 6 feet tall, Iggy has grabbed the attention of the fashion industry. In 2012 she was announced as the new face of Levi Jeans and has been apart of campaigns for several designers. She is currently signed to Wilhelmina Modeling Agency.
2. In 2012, Iggy Azalea became the first ever female featured on the annual XXL Freshman Class Cover.
1. Iggy’s Album The New Classic is set to drop in March of 2014 and T.I. guarantees it’s approval rating.
So there you have it. Iggy Azalea. We’ll have to wait until March to see if she really is the real deal but until then she has two mixtapes and an EP available for free download. I’ll let you be the judge.Google+