Rapper Tinie Tempah has this week launched his fashion brand at prestigious London store Selfridges. Called Disturbing London to complement his record label, this is a brand which takes its influences from music and London life, with more than a passing hint of 80’s cool.
Anything else you’d care to know about one of Britain’s finest young men?
1. His debut single, Pass Out, went straight in at number 1 in the UK charts in February 2010.
2. Frisky, featuring Labrinth, went in at number 2 in June the same year.
3. 2010 was also a massive festival year and he won Breakthrough Artist in the UK Festival Awards.
4. First two MOBO awards came in October 2010 for Best Newcomer and Best Video (for Frisky).
5. In January 2011, he was nominated for four BRIT awards, winning for Best British Breakthrough Act and Best British Single (for Pass Out).
6. His debut album Disc-overy was nominated for Album of the Year in both Mercury and MOBO awards.
7. Second album Demonstration is expected for release in October, after more festival appearances this summer.
8. Pass Out also won Best Contemporary Song in the Ivor Novello Awards in 2010.
9. Tinie Tempah became the first British rapper to reach platinum sales status with a debut single for Written in the Stars.
10. US exposure was only increased when Written in the Stars was used as the entrance song for the New York Giants before the 2011 Superbowl.
For “a young guy trying to out his dream”, there’s a lot going on with the Tinie Tempah brand right now. He describes himself as “an average, regular guy from South London” and yet he has masses of ambition. Only time will tell.Google+