Jan 25, 1938 to Jan 20, 2012
This past Friday we lost one of the greatest female vocalist of all-time, Etta James. Here are a few interesting facts about Etta that you should know:
1. Born Jamesetta Hawkins, her name was changed to Etta James by the Godfather of R & B Johnny ‘Otis.
2. She was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1993
3. Etta James never knew her biological father was, but she beilved her father was legendary pool player, Rudolf “Minnesota Fats” Wanderone.
4. Etta James first started in the the music biz when she formed “The Creolettes,” with a group of fourteen year old girls.
5. Etta sang at the opening ceremonies of the 1984 Olympics
6. Etta received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 2003.
7. A child prodigy began singing in her church choir as a young child and was on radio at age 5.
8. James cowrote her autobiography, Rage to Survive, in 1995 with David Ritz.
9. The story of James’s time with Chess Records was bought to life by Beyonce in 2008’s Cadillac Records.
10. With a career that spanned over sixty years, Etta’s last album ‘The Dreamer’ was released in November of 2011.Google+