Want a nice welcome mat for your front door that looks classy and a little rustic but don’t want to spend that kind of money? Well here is your answer. I am all about finding things that I can easily make to make my home decor look chic and expensive without the expensive price tag. So you can imagine my delight when I discovered a very easy project I could do add a little more homey feeling without a lot of money being spent. So naturally I have to share with my readers and fellow DIYers. Hence the super easy, super fun river stone welcome mat. Let’s get started.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- A plain door mat
- Lots of soft, rounded river stones of various small and medium sizes (you can buy these at a craft store or you can actually make your way down to the closest river and hand pick them yourself, which I prefer)
- Silicone glue
Here are the steps:
1. Take your plain mat and lay it on a flat, clean surface.
2. To be sure that you will have a flawless finish, it is best to arrange the stones in the pattern you want them BEFORE gluing them down.
3. Once you have the stones arranged the way you want them, pick one up at a time and squeeze a generous amount of silicone glue onto to bottom of the stone and place it back where it was, pressing down firmly but not too firm.
4. Repeat this for each stone until you have completed your masterpiece.
5. Let dry indoors overnight, just to be safe that the glue is thoroughly and no stones come loose.
There you have it! Now you have a chic looking door mat that you can be proud to show off when people come to visit. And you didn’t have to spend $20+ to get it.