NBC Community‘s Donald Glover, also known by his stage name Childish Gambino, is set to release a new, music comedy on FX. Whether you know him as Troy at Greendale Community College or musically in a portion of the underground hip-hop movement, here are some things you may not know about Childish Gambino.
1. He chose his stage name by playing around with a Wu-Tang Clan name generator.
He started writing shortly after graduating with a degree in dramatic writing from New York University before moving on to work on Community.
3. When he’s not acting, writing, rapping, or doing comedy, he’s also a DJ.
Under the name mc DJ, he’s produced a variety of remixes making him one of the most versatile men of Hollywood.
4. He’s also quite the cook.
His personal best dish is Osso Bucco. For those who aren’t culinary experts, the dish is veal shanks and vegetables. And he seems to know what he’s talking about. ‘The slower you roast it, the better. I really like the marrow – that’s my favorite part – so you can’t let it get too dried out. If it’s too dry, it’s awful. You’ve got to keep the lid on and the moisture in.”
5. He was raised as a Jehovah’s witness.
He’s long since renounced the religion, but it was only one of the many things that set him apart from his other kids.
6. He also stood out because of his race and California accent.
Before moving to Georgia, Childish Gambino and his foster parents lived in California. His lack of a southern accent and being the only black kid in school made him the “different” kid.
7. He sees the misogyny in his first album Camp as a potential for failure.
He says about the album “I just wanted to do what everybody was telling me I shouldn’t do—if there’s no voice for that kid in rap music, where is it? I wanted the opportunity to fall flat on my face if necessary. Its like Chris Rock said: as black people we don’t really need opportunities to succeed at this point—we need opportunities to fail.”
8. He helped to indirectly create the look of the new Spider-man.
Miles Morales, the new half-hispanic, half-black Spider-man was created as a result of the campaign Glover launched on Twitter #donald4spiderman.
9. While he had been playing guitar and rapping since elementary school, it wasn’t until college that he began producing.
After a friend randomly gave him an illegal copy of a production software, he spent weeks in his room tinkering with it and the rest was history.
10. He was originally part of a five-man sketch comedy team.
The team DERRICK comedy premiered their first movie Mystery Team in 2009.Google+