A$AP’s syrupy flow, mixed with an undeniable “Harlem Swag” has captured the attention of a new generation of Hip Hop heads. From viral videos to sold out shows in London, “Pretty Flocka” is definitely a fresh breath of air for East Coast Hip Hop. Here are 10 must know facts about A$AP Rocky to tickle your fancy.
1. Born Rakim Mayers on October 3, 1988 in Harlem, New York City after hip-hop legend Rakim of Eric B. & Rakim.
2. In 2007 Rocky assembled the hip-hop collective A$AP mob, which led to his current stage moniker and stands for various acronyms, most notably, Always Strive And Prosper.
3. In February 2012, Rocky opened for Drake during the Club Paradise Tour.
4. After garnering an immense buzz from his 2011 release, LiveLoveA$AP, the rapper inked a $3 Million dollar record deal with Sony/RCA records for him and his crew.
5. Houston’s screwed up style rap music is what influenced much of the tracks from the mixtape, LiveLoveA$AP.
6. Rocky’s first attempt at rapping was at age 8 after the birth of his little sister, Asia.
7. A$Ap Rocky is currently working on his debut album, LongLiveA$AP, due for release, September 11, 2012
8. A$AP has recently become close friends with T.D.E recording artist Schoolboy Q. The two have collaborated on LongLiveA$AP and will be touring together, fall 2012.
9. After finding out Lana Del Rey was a fan of his music, A$AP rocky collaborated with the Singer on “Ridin” off his debut album, LongLiveA$AP.
10. Rocky is not only a rapper, he also directs music videos, most recently, Danny Brown’s “Blunt after Blunt.”