You may not know who Kasseem David Dean is but if I say Swizz Beatz you immediately know who I’m talking about. Swizz Beatz is not only a hip-hop producer, he’s THE hip-hop producer with Kanye West calling him “the best rap producer of all time.” But there maybe some other stuff you didn’t know about him.
1. Dean’s uncles are the co-CEOs of Ruff Ryders Records. At 16, he was producing tracks when he struck gold with the beat for the DMX throwback, “Ruff Ryders’ Anthem.”
2. In 2001 he became the President and CEO of Full Surface Records, a joint venture with Clive Davis. Dean was only 23 years old at the time. The first artist signed was Cassidy.
3. After producing for a number of years, Dean finally release his solo debut album, One Man Band Man in 2007. It received mixed to positive reviews.
4. Dean doesn’t just produce for hip-hop artists. He has produced tracks for artists like Marc Anthony, Beyoncé, Gwen Stafani, Whitney Houston, and Alejandro Sanz.
5. “On To The Next One” was not only a hit with the general public and critics alike, it won Dean his first Grammy. He, along with Jay-Z, picked up the Grammy for Best Rap Performance by a Duo or Group in 2011.
6. Dean joins a long list of other rappers who went on to sign for a shoe deal, which include 50 Cent and G-Unit, Jay-Z, The Game, and Birdman. Dean signed a deal with Reebok in 2011. Here is one of the promotional videos:
7. Did you know Swizz not only collects paintings, he also paints himself. He donates what he makes from his paintings to Children’s Cancer and Blood Foundation.
8. In 2012, Swizz was listed among Jay-Z, Pharrell Williams, and Q-Tip as one of the top hip-hop earners. He placed sixteenth.
9. Kidrobot, famous for their designer toys, received a new partner for their clothing line. Swizz became a partner in 2006.
10. Music can be peaceful to the ears but how about the world. Swizz has worked with the United Nations to promote world peace.