Questlove‘s memoir Mo’ Meta Blues: The World According to Questlove offers a unique insight into the life of the artist. But before you get a chance to grab a copy, here are 10 things you may not have known about Ahmir “Questlove” Thompson.
1. His band, the Roots, now performs on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon.
Their first album was released to critical acclaim in 1993 before becoming a permanent fixture on the late show.
2. He grew up traveling with his parents and their doo-wop band.
3. His first performance was at Radio City Music Hall.
While on the road with his family, he was given the opportunity to play drums at one of their gigs at the age of 13. He was also made the group’s musical director that same year.
4. He was offered a spot at the prestigious Julliard School in New York City.
5. After receiving a record deal and label, the first thing he did was hire a chef.
6. His love of food also inspired him to open his own catering company.
7. He worked as a professor this past year.
He taught a class entitled Topics in Recorded Music: Classic Albums at New York University.
8. He initially resisted working with Jay-Z.
9. The Roots formed as an attempt to impress a girl.
10. As a child, Questlove hid music his parents deemed inappropriate by hiding them in his drums.Google+