Love and Hip-Hop Atlanta’s K. Michelle is set to release her first album this week. But aside from her appearance on LAHH, not much is known about the rising singer. Here are 10 facts you need to know.
1. She attended Florida A&M University and was nominated Miss FAM-U during her time there.
2. Before she moved to Atlanta, she lived in Memphis, Tennessee.
She also originally had dreams of being a country star.
3. Her affinity for country music earned her a scholarship to Florida A&M.
Her scholarship was for yodeling.
4. She has one son.
Seven-year old Chase is currently being raised by K. Michelle’s mother.
5. R. Kelly is one of her mentors.
She is also the only artist featured on his album Love Letters.
6. She’s a fierce advocate against domestic violence.
She became a public advocate after admitting her violent relationship with her former boyfriend, Memphitz.
7. She cites Mary J. Blige, Whitney Houston, and Tammi Terrell as her musical influences.
8. Apart from being a talented lyricist and singer, she’s a pianist.
She’s been playing piano since before she was nine years old and can proficiently read sheet music.
9. She signed a record deal with Jive Records in 2008.
Her career never jumpstarted though and she signed with Warner Bros in 2012.
10. She believes she’s a mermaid in an alternate universe.
She cites this as a reason why she doesn’t feel pressure by being compared to other artists.Google+